Capwey's Answers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Capwey's Answers

This is a Q&A forum where people can ask questions and answer other people's questions about anything from dating, tech, politics, religon, and tv.

2 posters

Dog owners, any advice before I get a dog?

Striker
    Striker

Dog owners, any advice before I get a dog? Empty Dog owners, any advice before I get a dog?

Post by Striker Tue May 24, 2011 11:41 pm

What are some things I need to do before I adopt a dog? Advice from dog owners would be nice.
    Brittney
    Brittney

Dog owners, any advice before I get a dog? Empty Re: Dog owners, any advice before I get a dog?

Post by Brittney Wed May 25, 2011 1:04 am

Make sure you have enough money set aside to pay any vet bills that might spring up. Ya never know. The dog will probably have to get yearly shots and vet visits can be expensive. It also depends on if you're getting a puppy or adopting an older dog... a puppy will end up being more expensive and will need a lot more training. You'll have to figure out where it's going to sleep/how you're going to potty train it and all that. Personally when I got my dog, I decided on an older dog because I really don't want to have to deal with a puppy while I'm going to school. It's like having an overly destructive, sharp-toothed baby. I mean I love puppies, but they are high maintenance. So if you do decided to get a puppy, you just have to be ready to correct bad behaviors like chewing things up and peeing on the floor right away.

Older dogs have their problems too, of course. Mine wasn't fully house trained so I had to break her of that habit. It takes a lot of patience and you have to be consistent. If you're going to get one from the shelter, they usually have an area where you can sit and visit with the dog before deciding to adopt it. I'd suggest spending a bit of time in there with the dog and get to know its personality. Unfortunately in shelters, dogs can be very timid and can sometimes seem like they are overly aggressive or fearful because of the environment they're in. My dog was very nervous but once she was in an environment where she felt comfortable, she was a lot happier.

Also if you want, read up on certain breeds and learn the characteristics to see if you can find one that matches your lifestyle.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am